It’s fair to say that Australia is a nation of travellers. In fact, in 2019 we took a huge 11.3 million international trips.1
From European backpacking adventures to South-East Asian beach holidays, Japanese ski trips to interstate visits to family, travel offers endless opportunities for enjoyment and adventure.
While there have been many challenges over the last 12 months, the disruption to travel has been something that many of us have struggled with.
It wasn’t all bad, however. The restrictions on travel has meant that more Australians have spent their holidays enjoying our own beautiful country, rather than overseas.
With the reduction in the need to fly has come an unexpected challenge: if you can’t use them to fly, what happens to your Qantas Points?
In this article, we’ll talk you through how to keep your Qantas Points balance healthy, how to keep your account active, and how to boost your points balance so that you can plan your next getaway.
How to keep on top of your Qantas Points balance
If you haven’t checked it for a while, now is a good time to check your Qantas Points balance. Log in to your Frequent Flyer account and you will be able to check how many points you currently have. If you don’t already receive it, it is a good idea to sign up to the Qantas Frequent Flyer monthly newsletter, which includes special offers as well as regular updates on your points balance.
Plus, if you haven’t done so already, you could consider linking your card in the Qantas Card Companion. The Card Companion is a digital tool to track the points earned on your Qantas Points earning credit card, access offers and more.
More ways to use your points
As well as travel, Qantas offers other ways to use your Qantas Points.
- Qantas Wine allows you to order wine direct to your door, using either cash or Qantas Points.~ Plus, support local producers with over 200 wine and gourmet food producers from Australia's leading wine regions.
- The Qantas Rewards Store offers a range of electronics, homewares, luggage, and accessories which can all be redeemed with points. You’ll also have the option to use Points Plus Pay+.
- Qantas Hotels connects you with accommodation across Australia so that you can continue to explore. Use your points, cash, or both to enjoy everything from special offers to luxury getaways.++
How to earn even more Qantas Points
Using Qantas Points is fun, but earning them can be almost as much fun as you see your balance rise.
So how do you earn as many points as possible to help get you to your next trip?
An easy way to boost your balance is to make sure that your everyday spending is working harder for you by earning you points.
There are a few ways to do this:
- Using a card that earns points for you with every purchase, like our Visa Platinum Credit Card. With points earned for eligible purchases* and bonus points when spending on eligible Qantas products**, your Qantas Points balance will increase without you even thinking about it.
- Look for opportunities to double your rewards by making purchases through Qantas Shopping, where you can earn Qantas Points for shopping at hundreds of Australia’s biggest Combined with a card that generates points, you could boost your balance without changing your normal shopping habits.
- Look at your regular expenses and see how you could earn points through them. A common ‘points hacking’ tactic is to pay for regular expenses like utilities, phone bills and media subscriptions using a credit card that earns points. By linking your points-earning credit card to the direct debits for these accounts, you could be earning points in autopilot.
- Consider downloading the Qantas Wellbeing App to earn points through physical activity. For example, 30 minutes of running can earn up to 12 points, two hours of cycling can earn up to 19 points and 45 minutes of swimming can earn up to 20 points. ^^^
- If you’re a homeowner or are planning on buying sometime soon, your mortgage could even earn you Qantas Points. Our Qantas Points Home Loan is packed full of full of features and offers 150 points for every $1,000 of your balance^, so you can earn year after year, after year.
While it may not be the right time for an overseas trip now, there are still plenty of opportunities to both use and earn more Qantas Points. Our Rewards Calculator is a great place to start to see how choosing Qudos products can boost your points balance.
Qudos Mutual Limited trading as Qudos Bank ABN 53 087 650 557 AFSL/Australian Credit Licence 238 305.
Qudos Bank home loans and credit cards are subject to approval. Normal lending criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply and are available on request. Mortgage insurance is required for home loans over 80% and is subject to approval.
Qantas Points accrue in accordance with and subject to the Qantas Points Banking Terms and Conditions (available on our website). You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem Qantas Points. A joining fee may apply, however, Qudos Bank has arranged to provide Qantas Frequent Flyer membership with the joining fee waived to Qudos Bank members who are not already a Qantas Frequent Flyer member and who apply at qantas.com/joinffqudos. Membership and the earning and redemption of Qantas Points are subject to the terms and conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program available online at qantas.com/terms. Qantas Frequent Flyer membership and each application is subject to approval by Qantas. Qudos Bank recommends that you seek independent tax advice in respect of the tax consequences (including fringe benefits tax, and goods and services tax and income tax) arising from the use of this product or from participating in the Qantas Frequent Flyer program or from using any of the rewards or other available program facilities.
~ To purchase from Qantas Wine, you must be a Qantas Frequent Flyer member, 18 years of age and over and have an Australian delivery address. Delivery subject to availability. Liquor Act 2007: It is an offence to sell or supply to or to obtain liquor on behalf of a person under the age of 18 years. Licence Number: LIQP770016736
+ Points Plus Pay can be used for selected products (excluding gift cards or vouchers) using a combination of cash and a minimum number of Qantas Points. Any cash payment must be made using an Accepted Payment Card. To find out more visit Terms and Conditions or FAQs.
++ The ability to use Points Plus Pay is subject to meeting the minimum points requirement of 5,000 Qantas Points. Qantas Points will not be earned on cancelled or refunded bookings. Qantas Points will be credited to your account at least 8 weeks after check-out. To earn Qantas Points, quote your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number when booking. Qantas Points cannot be split between two or more members occupying the same room. Some accommodation providers may not allow you to combine this offer with any other offer. Qantas Points may be earned by the member in whose name the booking is made. Members will not be able to redeem points for, or earn points on additional charges paid to the accommodation provider for extras (including cots, breakfasts and other incidentals) on check-in or check-out (as applicable). Qantas Points cannot be earned on Classic Hotel Rewards. A Classic Hotel Reward must be booked using Qantas Points only. Points Plus Pay allows you to choose the number of Qantas Points you redeem above the specified minimum level of 5,000 and pay for the remainder of the booking value with an Accepted Payment Card (including VISA, MasterCard or American Express). Points Plus Pay is not available for Classic Hotel Rewards. Points Club members will earn 25% more Qantas Points, and Points Club Plus members will earn 50% more Qantas Points, excluding Qantas Holidays and Airbnb bookings.
* Earn 1 Qantas Point for every $1 spent on eligible purchases2 ($1 -$2,500) per calendar month.
Earn 0.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on eligible purchases2 ($2,501 & above) per calendar month. Eligible purchases do not include cash advances, ATO payments, Bpay, interest, balance transfers, fees and charges or traveller's cheques and foreign currencies - these do not earn Qantas Points. For the full list of exclusions, please refer to the Visa Platinum Credit Card Terms and Conditions. Qantas Points can be earned on a maximum of $200,000 of eligible purchases per customer for each 12 month period, commencing from the date your account is opened and each account anniversary thereafter (Eligible Transaction Cap), regardless of the number of Qudos Bank Platinum Credit Cards held by you.
** Earn 1 extra Qantas Point per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services. Selected Qantas products and services are the following items purchased directly from Qantas: Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number) Qantas Frequent Flyer and Qantas Club membership joining and annual fees. Excludes Jetstar, Qantas Holidays, Qantas branded non-airfare products and any Qantas products and services not purchased directly from Qantas, purchases from Qantas Freight, Qantas Holidays, Qantas Business Travel, Jetset Travel world channels, Qantas Staff Travel, the Jetstar Group of companies or goods or services supplied by QFF Program partners.
^^^The Qantas Wellbeing Program is accessed through the Qantas Wellbeing App (the App). The App is offered by Qantas and you must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer (QFF) program and 13 years of age or over to use the App. Conditions apply. Membership and Qantas Points are subject to the Qantas Frequent Flyer Terms and Conditions. A joining fee usually applies. However, this will be waived if you join when you download the App. During the Qantas Wellbeing App 28-Day Trial, App users will earn up to 1,000 Qantas Points without having to purchase an Eligible Qantas Insurance Product. Qantas Points earned during this Trial will be credited to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account on a fortnightly basis. Once the 28-Day Trial has ended, Qantas Frequent Flyer members who do not purchase an Eligible Qantas Insurance Product will earn Qantas Points at a reduced rate each month through the App. Eligible Qantas Insurance Products are Qantas Health, Life and Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance Policies. Qantas may amend or withdraw this Trial at any time.
^ Excludes existing loans, switching and variations. These offers can be withdrawn by Qudos Bank at any time.
The information in this article is of a general nature and has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the information, consider its appropriateness to your circumstances.